Monday, January 24, 2011

Aegina Island!

This might be one of the coolest day trips I have ever been on!

Aegina is just a 45 minute hydrafoil ride away from Athens.  We all took off early Friday morning and took the metro to the last stop called Piraeus.  It is a port and I have wanted to get off here, so I am glad to say that I have :)  I love boats so it was really cool to see them all. Here is one:

Ready to gooo
We arrived around 10:30 am and started to explore the gorgeous island.

a little mini harbor
Welcome to the island of Aegina---known for their pistachios! :) I tried them, delish.


So the cars on this island are pretty small.  If you don't have a small car you have a moped.  My classmates and I found this little shop that rents mopeds for the day and it was cheap so of course it was a matter of minutes before I was speeding away.


I drove and Kellye sat on the back.  I have one really similar at school so I was lucky.  Other kids in my group weren't so lucky haha. One pair slid off and another hit the side of the car but were okay.  That is why you should go slow around the corners!!!!
Don't worry mom, I'm a safe driver ;)


We rode around for 3 hours and it was a blast.
This is the high point that had such a pretty view. I didn't want to leave!




Behind me you can see all the windy roads.

After that we drove around looking for ruins and had a great time looking at all the small cottages people live in.  You really don't need much to live a happy life, especially if this is your front yard view!

Huge church we came across!

At the end of the day, we were pretty pooped and had some dinner & then headed back via hydrafoil.

The island looked beautiful.